Monday, September 6, 2010

Hello.

The first thing that I would like to say is that I am not an artist.  I find the task of drawing a simple stick figure utterly daunting and will never be able to create a respectable looking one.

With that said, I do however appreciate art.  To me art is not about just looking at a piece of work and saying, "Ohhh ahh!"  Art is much more than what you just see.  There is a history behind each painting, sculpture, drawing, etc.  There is a reason for each brushstroke and color choice.

I hope to use this blog to write about different art exhibits/fairs/shows/galleries in South Florida that I will visit.  I will also post upcoming events that are short-term.  What would be the point in bragging about a great show if it was only a two day event and you couldn't go see it for yourself?

On a side note:
Courtesy of Wikipedia.com


   This painting is titled "The Sower" by a Dutch man called Vincent van Gogh.  You may have heard about him; they crazy guy who sliced off his own ear.  Yes, he went a little nuts and spent some time in a mental institution, but he was not the type to just slap some paint on a canvas in his unstable state.  He applied paint to create texture and depth.  In "The Sower" he chose colors that offset each other in such an eye-catching way.  This is one of my favorite paintings and for the record, this photo does not do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment